Kahala Dentist - The Importance of Oral Hygiene

Hear this text

Our Kahala Dentists believe that mouth plays a vital role in the overall health of a person. It helps in breaking down food and beginning the process of digestion. The mouth is also home to millions of bacteria most of which are good for our health while others are not. Therefore it is important to care for the teeth and gums and ensure that the mouth is free from infection says our Kahala Dentists. How do we go about it? Well, oral hygiene practices, healthy diet and a visit to the dental office once in 6 months can protect people from dental health issues. Did you know that there are many systemic diseases which can be connected to the oral health issues of a person? Yes, many studies conducted by researchers have come up with results that show link between dental health issues and bodily conditions. Therefore one can safely state that caring for teeth and gums can promote a healthy life. Dr. Lance Teramoto is one among the notable Kahala dentists who is known for the comprehensive dental care and unparalleled quality dental treatment. Our aim is to keep patients informed about oral health and motivate them towards taking care of their teeth and gums. The blog provides an overview of how oral hygiene and oral care can prevent dental problems.

See what our Kahala Dentist say about oral care:

Why is it important to practice good oral hygiene? This is one of the common questions many people have in their mind. As stated by our Kahala Dentists mouth is home to bacteria. These bacteria form a biofilm of colonies called the plaque over teeth surface. They feed on food debris to release acids that can harm the teeth and gums. Remains of sugars are one of the major contributors when it comes to tooth decay and gum infection. Other food debris too can increase the risk of dental problems. Therefore it becomes necessary to clear food debris in order to reduce bacterial activity in the oral cavity.

Tooth Brushing

Tooth brushing helps us clear food debris from the surface of the teeth. It is important to brush both the front and the back surface of the teeth. A person should hold the toothbrush at 45 degree angle to the teeth and brush gently through small circular motions. While tooth brushing helps clean about 60% of the teeth surface, flossing is required to clear the other 40% of the surface.


Flossing helps to clean food debris from between the teeth. A person should floss at least once a day to prevent tooth decay and gum disease.

Fluoride Intake

Fluoride is an important mineral that can protect your teeth from infection when consumed in specified amounts. Fluoride is normally available through community water in most of the States in the US. Fluoridated toothpaste and mouthwash can further act as a protective barrier against tooth decay.

Healthy Diet

Diet too plays a crucial role in maintaining oral health. Food with high sugars is one of the major contributors to dental decay. Acidic foods to can cause erosion of enamel layer of teeth, thereby making it more prone to decay. Our Kahala dentist lets you know about what are the foods that can contribute positively to oral health. Cheese, carrots, milk products are some of the examples of food that can improve the status of your teeth and gums.

Visiting Dental Office

Visiting a dental practice at least once in 6 months can help you keep your teeth and gums clean and healthy. It is important to note that plaque cannot be completely cleared through routine brushing and flossing habits. When plaque is left over teeth surface for long, it hardens to become tartar which can be cleared only through professional dental cleaning. During the routine visit, professional cleaning can be performed and our dentist can look for signs of infection and other problems. Early intervention and prevention can save money and time and enhance the oral health of patients.

Font Size

Cerec Crowns Honolulu CEREC

Toothache can be one of the most disturbing things that...

Read More
Sleep Dentistry Honolulu Sleep Dentistry

Sleep is very essential for healthy living. When you sleep...

Read More
Cosmetic Dentistry Honolulu Cosmetic Dentistry

Your smile is your signature. Do not let esthetic errors...

Read More
laser Dentistry Honolulu Laser Dentistry

Laser Dentistry is an advanced dental technology which has...

Read More
Dentist Honolulu Other Services

Have a look at the other services we provide...

Read More

Our Address

Get Directions To Our Practice

Lance I Teramoto DDS

Office Hours

Monday 8:30 AM 4:30 PM
Tuesday 8:30 AM 4:30 PM
Wednesday 8:30 AM 4:30 PM
Thursday Closed
Friday 8:30 AM 4:30 PM
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed

Contact Us

Please enter your name.
Please enter your contact number.
Please enter a valid e-mail address.
(Maximum characters: 250) You have characters left. Please enter a message.
Please check that you are not a robot.
Please enter a the security code.